State of Utah
Under the direction of the Outdoor Recreation Supervisor/Coordinator, performs various tasks as necessary to provide recreation services to the St. George Community. Specifically responsible for running outdoor recreation programs for youth ages 5-17. During programs, the Outdoor Recreation Aide supports coworkers by providing safety and supervision for up to 12 students in the backcountry. Assists the
Instructors to provide coaching and instruction for the following outdoor activities: bouldering, rock climbing, rappelling, mountain biking, kayaking, paddle boarding, and canoeing.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Provides safety and supervision for up to 12 students during programs and activities, generally taking place in the backcountry.
2. Assists the Instructors to provide coaching and instruction for outdoor activities.
3. Provides customer service in person and over the phone; answering questions and/or referring customers to appropriate staff members.
4. Responds to public inquiries providing accurate information regarding recreation programs and services.
5. Aids in the promotion and advertising of programs and special events
6. Distributes brochures, flyers, schedules, rosters, etc.
7. Organizes, cleans, prepares and maintains recreation facilities and equipment
8. Works at other City programs and special events as needed.
9. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing other related duties as needed
10. Follows all city policies and procedures
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions and temperatures may vary depending on the assignment. Primarily working outdoors sometimes in extreme hot/cold temperatures. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies. Must be able to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies. Requires moderately heavy physical activity exerting 25-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently.
Mental demands of intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Must be available to work weekends, mornings, evenings, holidays, and other schedules to help prepare for recreation offerings. This is a part-time position with variable hours averaging less than
28 hours per week over a period of twelve months.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Customer service experience preferred
Personal and/or professional experience participating in and/or leading outdoor recreation activities preferred
Experience working with youth preferred
Licenses and/or Certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED certification required. Must be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of outdoor recreation activities such as mountain biking, rock climbing/bouldering, kayaking, canoeing, paddleboarding, or hiking is preferred
Customer service oriented
Ability to: * Follow Directions
Perform Physical Labor
Work with a team
Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at careers.sgcity.org.
Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Human
Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required.
The City of St. George is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.